Thursday, March 25, 2010

vete tú a saber

I actually like this nifty little phrase.  Sometimes I ask myself where these things come from, and who makes them up?  ¿Quien sabe? (Who knows?)

Actually, I just told you what today's bit of Spanish means -- Who knows?

It's a colloquial way of saying "Quien sabe". 

Since I've learned this bit of Spanish, I've heard it on several occassions, so it's something you'll want to put in your Spanish toolbox. 

You can use it in the exact same way we use "who knows" in English.

As usual, let's look at some examples:

¿Cuál es el sentido de la vida?  Vete tú a saber.
What's the meaning of life?  Who knows.

¿Cuál es el sentido de la vida? Quien sabe.
What's the meaning of life? Who knows.

Just remember that "quien sabe" is a bit more proper, while vete tú a saber is more informal, but other than that, use which ever one you like!

¡Hasta la próxima!

No comments:

Post a Comment