Monday, August 2, 2010

Tengo cosas en el tintero

Until I heard this phrase, I didn't know what a tintero was.  So why don't we start there.

Here's a picture of a tintero...


So now we know what a tintero is.  The little bottle that holds your ink.  Lucky for us the the ball point pen came along.

As usual, a literal translation won't work.  There aren't to many things (cosas) you can put into a tintero.  So let's just make our translation:

Tengo cosas en el tintero
I have some things on my mind

I happen to like this expression, don't ask me why.  And I learned this from a Peruvian friend, so I really have no idea how universal this is, but don't let that stop you from using this phrase.  If the people you're speaking to aren't familar with it, explain it.  I bet in return they tell you their version of the expression and it's a win win situation for everybody.

That's it for today, ¡hasta pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment