Monday, August 15, 2011

Va

Sometimes it's the simple words that get you. And this one definitely got me.

If you don't know what this means, don't feel bad. It's not your fault, your Spanish book failed you. But that's good news, because otherwise I wouldn't have anything to write about.

So what does "va" mean? Let me give you an example.

Paso por ti a las 8
Va.

I'll pick you up at 8.
Ok.

Pretty simple eh?  Of course the proper way to say this is "Esta bien", or even OK.  The good news is there's even more ways to say OK.  And yes, Spanish speakers actually say "OK".

Vale

Vale also means OK.  It's very popular in Spain, and works equally well in Mexico.  And speaking of Mexico, there's the word saleSale also means OK.   And if that wasn't enough, in Mexico you can say "sale vale", which is the equivalent of okie-dokie.

Wait, I'm not done yet, there's more.  If' you're tired of saying "" all the time, then here's a couple of words to mix things up.

 Mexican spanish offers us two more options, sip and simonSimon is like yeah, and sip is along the lines of yep.   

Everything we've looked at today is informal, but sip and simon are really informal, so be sure to save those for your compas (buddies). 

Well, that's it for today.  ¡ Hasta la próxima!

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog I´am Mexican and always I thinking in how to say spanish sentences on english, grettings //

    ReplyDelete