Wednesday, August 12, 2009

¿Como andas?

I've seen (and heard) the verb andar used many times, and it's quite versatile, so let me share with you what I've learned about the verb andar.

You can use andar to talk about what kind of mood you're in.

  • Ando de mal humor - I'm in a bad mood.
  • ¿Qué te pasa? ¿Andas del mal humor? - What happened? Are you in a bad mood?

Andar can also mean to go out with someone.

  • ¿Andas con alguien? - Are you going out with (dating) anybody?
  • No ando con nadie - I'm not going out with (dating) anybody.
  • ¿Con quién andas? - Who are you (dating) going out with?

Another common usage of andar is as a synonym for estar (to be), or on your way to some place.

  • ¿Dónde andas? - Where are you?
  • Ando en camino a casa - I'm on my way home
  • Ando en la tienda - I'm at the store
  • Ando en el centro - I'm downtown

Lastly, you can use andar as way to say how are you, or what's up

¿Cómo andas?

You could just reply bien, or use any response you would to como estas, but if you want to have a little fun you can answer "Con los pies".

This is far from all of the uses of andar, just some of the usages I'm familar with.

¡Espero que te sirve!

1 comment:

  1. I work with pre-schoolers in a bilingual Spanish classroom and whenever I tell them to go to the bathroom, their favorite response is " No me anda!" At first I was puzzled but it is just another usage.

    ReplyDelete