Monday, February 14, 2011

Ya llovió

I remember being an adolescente (teenager) living in Puerto Rico taking Spanish I & II. 

Ya llovió.

Despite having taken classes, I didn't really learn how to speak Spanish.  Fast forward 22 years later to 2005 and I started studying Spanish again.   

Ya llovió.

I also remember when I started this blog.  I had no idea what I was really going to blog about, nor how long I would keep it up. That was back in July of 2008.  

Ya llovió.

Despite how it sounds, this post isn't about the fact it took me forever to learn Spanish, so let me get down to business.

Ya llovió
It already rained.

While the literal translation is accurate, it doesn't apply here.  Ya llovió is also a colloquial expression that has another meaning. 

Ya llovió
That was a long time ago

This phrase is actually a shortened version of:

Ya llovió mucho desde entonces

"Desde entonces" means "since then".  Here's an example of how to use it:

Han pasado cuatro años desde entonces
It's been four years since then

Let's get back on track.

Ya llovió mucho desde entonces
It's rained a lot since then

I'm not sure what the connection is with rain and the passage of time, but this a colloquial way of saying:

Ya pasó bastante (mucho) tiempo

You may also see this phrase as:

Ya ha llovido desde entonces

That's it!  Whether you choose to say Ya llovió mucho desde entonces or simply Ya llovió, you'll sound like a native.


¡Hasta luego!

1 comment:

  1. I guess it's like saying a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then.

    http://www.tomisimo.org/idioms/es/ha-llovido-mucho-desde-entonces-3678.html

    ReplyDelete