Saturday, August 3, 2013

¿Qué has hecho?

For those of you who have been long time readers of my blog, you've probably noticed that I don't post as much as I used to.  There are a couple of reasons for that, so without wasting any more of your time, let me ir al grano (get to the point).  And don't worry, if you don't know what ¿Qué has hecho? means, I'll explain that too.

I've been working on a few other projects that I hope you all will find useful.  Like a third blog.  It's called Helping You Learn Spanish.  Here's the link:

http://helpingyoulearnspanish.blogspot.com/

You may have noticed I said third blog.  What's the second blog you ask?  It's all about how to swear in Spanish.  So if you're interested click here to check it out.

Now to get back on track.

The focus of my new blog is to help you "transition from Spanish student to Spanish speaker".  This time around I'll be writing about the things you do find in your Spanish textbook, simplifying the sometimes overly confusing and complex explanations while adding what I've learned from my own personal experiences.

I'll also be sharing the tips, tricks and advice I've picked up on my own journey to Spanish fluency.  I also plan on saving you money by recommending what I consider to be the best and most effective products to get you closer to your goal of being a Spanish speaker.  Learning Spanish is hard enough, there's no need to waste time and money as well.  I've done enough of that for all of us.

So what else have I been doing?

I've actually developed not one, but two Android mobile apps.  You can find them in the Google Play store.

The first one is called My Spanish Travel Phrases and it's free. Go download it.  Why wouldn't you, it's free.  Here's the link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hyls.MySpanishTravelPhrases

The app is a collection of travel related phrases that you can take with you.  No internet required.  Not traveling anytime soon?  That's OK, it has a number of phrases that you'll find useful right here at home.  It's an app no self-respecting Spanish student would be with out.  Here's what it looks like:



The second app, My Spanish Phrasebook, which is practically free ($1.99) includes all the same great phrases the Travel app has, plus more.  I called it a phrasebook, but it's really more of conversation helper.  You can find it here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hyls.myphrasebook

This app works the same, it just has phrases that help you all aspects of conversation, not just travel.


My Spanish Phrases will continue to grow with more features being added as well as more and more phrases.

If you want a quick tour of how to use the app, take a look at the link below.

http://helpingyoulearnspanish.blogspot.com/p/my-spanish-travel-phrases-is-mobile.html

If you download the apps, please take the time to rate them and leave a comment.  It will help me deliver a better product.   I wrote them for you all, aspiring Spanish speakers, travelers and ex-pats.  I want to hear your opinions.  In fact, if you're on FaceBook I started a group dedicated to these apps.  Share your thoughts, recommend new features, new phrases and talk about the translations.  Here's the link to the group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MySpanishPhrasebook/

If you're not on FaceBook, feel free to leave your feedback in the comments section.

Speaking of FaceBook, I also started a group call Estudiates de Español.  It's a place to hang out, share jokes, share articles, ask questions, basically it's about anything related to Spanish.   We also share links to great resources to help you learn and improve your Spanish.  There's never a dull moment so come join in on the fun.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/estudiantesdelespanol/

Well, that's enough shameless self-promotion.  I promised to explain what ¿Qué has hecho? means, so it's time to get to it.


I've seen what you've done, treat me good or I'll tell everybody.

Hecho comes from the verb hacer (the past participle to be exact) and means done.

Here are a few more examples:

¿Qué has hecho para mejorar tu vida?
What have you done to improve your life?

Admítelo tú también lo has hecho!
Admit it you've done it too!

Lo hecho, hecho está
What's done is done

The word hecho isn't that hard to use.  Google ¿Qué has hecho? and you'll find a ton of examples to help you get a better idea of how to use it.

What makes this phrase interesting is that it has another meaning.  I remember when I first heard this expression.  I was in a Guatemalan restaurant and  overheard a young lady say to a friend she apparently hadn't seen in a while:

¿Qué has hecho?

I kind of knew what it meant when I heard it because of the context, but as soon as I got in front of a computer I had to verify it.

¿Qué has hecho?
What have you been up to?

Now you know exactly what to say to that friend you haven't seen in a while when you need want to catch up on their life.  You also know ¿Qué he hecho?, what I've been up to.

I've certainly rambled on enough in this post, so I'll wrap this up and let you get back to your life.

¡Hasta la próxima!

1 comment:

  1. Que onda cabron?? Porque no me dejes hacer un post de calo mexicano? Saludos del sur, Ted (no hay bronca)

    ReplyDelete