Friday, June 9, 2017

¡Diacachimba!

In my last post, Tenemos Chinelas, I gave you a mini-tour of Managua, Nicaragua.  And a little bit of Nicaraguan Spanish to boot.  I also promised you I'd do the the same for the city of Granada.   So with that said, let the Nicaragua adventure continue.

Let's start with a little bit of Nicaraguan Spanish I should have explained to you the first time.

People from Nicaragua are called nicaragüense.  But that's kind of a mouthful, so I like to say the abbreviated version, nica.  And it's nica for both sexes.  You would say un nica for a man and una nica for a woman.

¿Eres nica?
Are you Nicaraguan?



Soy Nica y eso nadie me lo quita
I'm Nicaraguan and no one can take that from me

Here's the Nicaraguan flag (bandera) if you're never seen it.



The currency of Nicaragua is called the córdoba.  Here are a few pics.





Great!  We've got the basics covered so let's get on with that mini-tour of Granada.

I got to Granada in a buseta much like this one.  A buseta is just a smaller version of an autobús.  It can only carry 30 people or so.



My Granada adventure started with ride in a coche de caballos or a horse and buggy.   You may also hear a coach and buggy referred to as un coche con carruaje.  Or cabellos con  carruajes.  If you're familiar with Spanish you know how it is, there's always more than one way to say something.



It's an enjoyable way to tour the city.   You can find them at Parque Colón.  They'll be lined up in the street waiting to take you on the grand tour.


By the way, the word for tour in Spanish is recorrido.  However, don't be surprised if you just hear the word tour.  With a Spanish accent of course.

Granada is a colonial town full of history and super old houses.  The guide pointed out one that was over 400 years old.  Amazing.  What's even more amazing is I didn't take pictures.  What was I thinking?

After touring the city we headed to the Centro Turistico.


The Centro Turistico in Grenada is an awesome place.  It's like a huge park where families go to have picnics, let the kids run around, take a swim in the lake (Lago Cocibolca) and have asados (barbeques).  You can also walk along the lake front and more importantly, take a tour of Las Isletas.



Las Isletas consist of 75 small islands formed from eruptions of el volcán Mombacho.  A good number of the isletas have houses of varying sizes on them.  By the way, an isleta is a small island.  A regular size island (however big that is) is an isla.





If you take a recorrido of Las Isletas you'll also get a chance to have lunch at one of the restaurants found on the isletas.




I really enjoyed the recorrido of las isletas.   Nothing like enjoying the cool breeze on the lake on a hot day.

I'll leave you with a couple of more pictures of Granada.





And to wrap up my mini-tour of Granada, here's a short promo video I found of Granada.  It will give you a great idea of what to expect if you decide to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvLWrE8yAQk



And to finally wrap this post up, let's look at the word diacachimba.



You probably immediately noticed the difference in spelling from what I typed and what's in the photo.  Since it's an informal word to begin with it really doesn't matter.     You may also see deachachimba.  Anyway, it means something is really cool, really well done, or even to say you're in a good mood.

Que fiesta mas deacachimba
This party is awesome

It can also apply to people.

Ese mae es deacachimba
This guy is really cool

Here are a couple more examples:

Esta entrada esta deacachimba
This post is awesome

Me siento diacachimba
I feel great

Tu carro está deacachimba
Your car is really cool

Este trabajo me esta quedando diacachimba
This job is turning out great

Well, that's it.  Almost.  The last thing I'll add is that if you get the chance try the Toña




and the Flor de Caña, which is their flagship rum.  Awesome stuff.


There really is a lot to do in Nicaragua, much more than I expected.  There were a few things and places I didn't get to see, so who knows, maybe a return trip is in order.

If you missed it, be sure to read part one of my adventures in Nicaragua, Tenemos chinelas.

That's it for today, Hasta la próxima!



5 comments:

  1. This song is practically the national anthem of Nicaragua: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmgBgVuDQCo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful introduction to Nicaragua which is believed by many to be the safest Central American country, and maybe the most economical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks an amazing country for all the pictures you shared with us, i hope made a trip soon because you convince me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe is amazing that you are talking about my beautiful country :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome It's like I was readingva globetrekker episode.

    ReplyDelete